Thursday, October 18, 2007

Getting Ready for 2007 World Series

Obviously blogging is not my thing. Too time-consuming but I'll keep trying!

This year's MSBL World Series is special because it is the 20th Year anniversary. So the banquets in particular will be extra special. We are as usual going out for 3 days only, to be there Nov. 3 and 4. Dan will be covering the 35+ Continental champonship and the 45+ National championship on November 3 (9:30 and 1pm). Also attending the Nov. 3 banquet. I know they are going to have a slideshow of old photos because I sent Tom Prendergast a bunch from our archives, going way back to 1991 I think, which was when the magazine was inaugurated. Boy do I feel old!!

I wish we could go out for longer but we are working on getting the Holiday issue finished. It needs to get mailed before Christmas. Always a tall order. We've also started collecting the Yearbook reports and of course the planning for the World Series and Fall Classic have consumed quite a lot of our time here. This year we have recruited scorers mostly from the Arizona MSBL to help our reporters. Denevi & Jones are photographing almost all the championship games except for two games, which I have assigned to Jerry Guibor, a photographer from Fresno who travels to Phoenix each year. New this year: Tom Prendergast and Joel Becker will be doing LIVE webcasts from Tempe Diablo Stadium of some of the games (but not the finals). I have listened to two of the broadcasts- they are very professionally done and entertaining. They have pre-game interviews with the managers, play-by-play with scores posted in real time on the webcast site, and post-game interviews by roving reporter Ken Vanderpoel (who is also our HardBall coordinator. Check it out! Of course Tom is also doing his excellent Daily News newsletter and posting it daily.

Well back to work on the Holiday issue.....

No comments: